23 Oct Ultimate Skyrim Gold Guide – Includes Unlimited Skyrim Gold Cheat
|Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links. This means that if you buy a product or service after clicking on these links, I earn a small commission (at no additional cost to you) which helps pay for the upkeep of this website.
Yes, money does make the world go round and the same goes for in Skyrim too. When you first start playing the game, collecting gold seems like a mountain to climb, especially when tomb raiding yields little gold and your low speechcraft skills mean that merchants will rip you off when selling any treasure or loot you have found. Spell tomes and buying a house in Skyrim can get really expensive, especially if you want to collect them all. So, you’re wondering how to make money in Skyrim fast?
The Best Way to Make Money Fast in Skyrim
Here are some of the best ways to make easy money in Skyrim.
Skyrim Gold Cheat Using Chests Exploit
Whether you want to call this a glitch, cheat or exploit, it doesn’t really matter. What matters is that this is a way to make easy gold fast!
There are three Khaljit caravans that can be seen roaming Skyrim or otherwise seen camped outside a capital. These are:
- Ri’saad’s Caravan – Travels back and forth between Whiterun and Markarth
- Ma’dran’s Caravan – Travels back and forth between Solitude and Windhelm
- Ahkari’s Caravan – Travels back and forth between Riften and Dawnstar
All of these Khaljits are merchants with leveled stock that will become increasingly valuable as you grow. The other thing to note is that each of these characters stock has a physical manifestation in the Skyrim world. These are in the form of hidden chests where you can find all the goodies these merchants sell. You can take all of this loot without it counting towards theft and then sell it back to the merchant.
Where to find the hidden chests
- Ri’saad’s – Solitude – Walk outside Solitude, down the hill and through the stone arch. On your left (if walking away from Solitude) will be a tree and rocks. It’s easier to find if you crouch and search the ground and you’ll find the hidden chest there.
- Ma’dran’s – Markarth – Outside Markarth (like past the Stables and Salvius Farm), is the river. Don’t cross the bridge but look for the little stone wall to the left. Go on the side of the wall closest to the river. Look down at the ground and walk half way down the wall and you’ll see it.
- Ahkari’s – Dawnstar – On the opposite side of Dawnstar to which you appear when you fast travel is the Iron-Breaker Mine. Face the entrance and look for the tree and rocks on the left. Look at the ground behind the rocks and you’ll find the hidden chest there
There are other hidden chests but these involve getting the game to glitch by running through walls and personally I find them harder to replicate. The above hidden chests are easier to find, always there and easy to reset.
How to get unlimited gold in Skyrim
So you’ve got away with the heist of a lifetime but now the merchant’s chests are empty and so is their inventory. So how do you use these hidden chests to make some fast gold in Skyrim and a lot of it?
The trick here is to be in Dawnstar when Ahkari’s caravan is camped just outside of Dawnstar. It’s also useful to have a horse so that if you carry to much you won’t be slowed down . To get unlimited gold the process is as follows:
- Go steal everything you can carry from Ahkari’s chest by Iron-Breaker Mine.
- Run or ride back to the otherside of Dawnstar to Ahkari’s camp.
- Ahkari’s inventory will now be void of items, including her 750 gold.
- Save your game!
- Attack Ahkari and then instantly reload your game.
- You’ll still have your loot but Ahkari will be reset and have gold and items again.
- Sell your loot.
- Save, attack,reload, sell.
- Rinse and repeat until you’ve offloaded everything.
- Run back to the chest and steal everything.
- You get the idea…
The save and attack method works on every merchant but it’s Ahkari’s proximity to her own hidden inventory chest that makes this the quickest way to make money in Skyrim.
If you’ve unlocked Fences by doing city influences quests by Vex and Delvin from the Thieves Guild, Zaynabi who is in Ahkari’s crew will also become a merchant you can sell to. Depending on how many cities you’ve gained influence in, a Fence will have between 1000-4000 gold meaning you can offload more loot in-between saving and reloading.
This is also a great way to maximise your Speech skill as you’ll get experience for every item sold.
Maximizing your time by maximizing enchanting
There is another step that you can add to this process which means you can maximize your enchanting skill very quickly.
In between the hidden chest and the Khaljit caravan in Dawnstar is the Jarl’s house which has an enchanting table. As Ahkari’s inventory changes with each reset, by taking the items in their chest several times you’ll come across a huge variety of enchanted weapons and apparel.
With each trip back from the chest, head in and disenchant every item you can until you’ve learned every enchantment (which gives you experience). Once you’ve learned them all, take un-enchanted weapons and apparel from Ahkari’s chest along with filled soul gems and enchant them. Not only will your Enchanting Skill increase but so will the value of the items you are selling, increasing the amount of gold you can make.
Skyrim Gold Cheat Using Book Duplication
With the way books are placed and load on bookshelves, it is possible to duplicate any book that you find in Skyrim.
So how does that help you with getting gold?
Well there’s an incredible valuable book called the Oghma Infinium.
Firstly, the book will add 5 skill levels to 6 skills which is incredibly valuable to your growth. In terms of getting that sweet sweet gold the book is also worth 2500 gold!
To get your hands on the Oghma Infinium you need to complete the quest “Discerning the Transmundane” which is given to you by Septimus Signus at his outpost who is north of the College of Winterhold. You will need to be above level 15 to complete this quest.
Once you’ve got your hands on the book you can now start to duplicate the book and sell them to make money. A lot of money!
It’s best to watch this video so you can see it in action. Make sure you save your game before trying any of this in case your book disappears completely!
October 2018 – Skyrim is patched so that even if you duplicate Oghma Infinium for financial gain you cannot read it multiple times to gain multiple levels so choose wisely which path you take in the book.
Other Ways to Get Skyrim Gold
The two methods above are the easiest and quickest ways to earn money in Skyrim and with a bit of grind and repeating the process you can accumulate quite a fortune. Here are some other ways of
Crafting Jewellery for Gold
This method will make you money but also help with maximizing; Smithing, Alteration, Speech and also Enchanting if you’re so inclined.
- First you need to clear the Halted Steam Camp (north of Whiterun), both the camp and the mine, and the Kolskeggr Mine (south of Markarth).
- In the Halted Steam Camp on the bandit chief’s table is a spell book Transmute Mineral Ore. This allows you to turn Iron Ore into Silver Ore and Silver into Gold Ore.
- Mine the Halted Steam Camp. There are 16 Iron Ore veins that can be mined here. There’s a pickaxe at the entrance. For fasting mining equip the pickaxe as a weapon and just hit the vein repeatedly rather than doing the mine action. Also don’t forget the Iron Ore on the table and bookshelf.
- Transmute all of the Iron Ore into Gold Ore.
- Head to the Kolskeggr Mine and mine the 17 Gold Ore veins and also don’t forget the 4 Gold Ingots and 3 Gold Ore on the cart and table. Beware that there is a Forsworn Briarheart who can be a challenge if you’re not prepared.
- Go to a smelter and turn all of the Gold Ore into Gold Ingots. There’s one just outside of the Kolskeggr Mine.
- Head to a Forge (personally I like the one in Whiterun) and turn all of the Ingots into Gold Rings. If you have precious gems incorporate these into the gold rings too.
- For an added bonus, and to improve your Enchanting skill, enchant the rings too.
- Now sell them to your heart’s content.
- After 30 in-game days the mines and their veins will reset.
- Rinse and repeat. Doing all of the above will generate a lot of gold but also level your Smithing, Enchanting, Speech and Alteration Skills.
There you have it, an effective way to make money and maximize skills!
Alchemy is One of the Fastest Ways to Make Money
Alchemy is a very lucrative way of making money in Skyrim and pretty easy to do too. If you come across ingredients on your travels like Glowing Mushrooms or Giant’s Toes, by all means pick them up. However, it is incredibly time consuming to go hunting for ingredients. You are better off just buying the ingredients.
The process is simple; buy a bunch of ingredients, create potions and then sell them on for profit. Really is that simple.
The most lucrative potions you can make are:
- Damage Magicka Regen
- Fortify Carry Weight
- Fortify Health
Adding a Giant’s Toe to create Fortify Health potions makes them incredibly more powerful and thus more valuable to sell on.
Best Potions to Sell
The most profitable potions to sell for gold include Giant’s Toes and these are:
- Giant’s Toe + Bear Claws + Hanging Moss
- Giant’s Toe + Creep Cluster (1) + Wheat
- Giant’s Toe + Blue Butterfly Wing + Blue Mountain Flower
- Giant’s Toe + Wheat + Scaly Pholiota
- Giant’s Toe + Wheat + Wisp Wrappings
If you don’t have a Giant’s Toe, you can try these potions which will also make you a good amount of money:
- Chaurus Eggs + Garlic + Vampire Dust
- Chaurus Eggs + Luna Moth Wing + Vampire Dust
- Chaurus Eggs + Luna Moth Wing + Namira’s Rot
- Deathbell + Dwarven Oil + Salt Pile
- Creep Cluster + Mora Tapinella + Scaly Pholiota
Doing the above will result in you making fortune and maxing your Alchemy Skill in no time. Be sure to activate The Thief Guardian stone prior to doing this to give you an extra 20% boost to levelling.
For more information about potions check out our guide to the best potions in Skyrim.
Steal Stuff For Money
Pretty simple but go around stealing stuff. Pickpocket everyone you see! You’ll need a good pick pocketing skill and ideally apparel that will make you more effective. Walk around any city and you can sweep tonnes of jewels, rings, necklaces. Just remember stolen goods can only be sold through a Fence so you’ll need to sell things at the Thieves Guild and ideally have unlocked the Fences in different cities.
Getting Married For Money
Yes, I am advocating becoming a gold digger! Getting married in Skyrim is useful for many reasons and money is one of them. Get married early in the game and then just head off on your dragon slaying adventures, raiding tombs, assassinations or getting mixed up in political strife. Your spouse will set up a general store and earn 100 gold a day. It accumulates if you don’t collect it so I treat this as a set and forget and when do I come home it is surprising how much can add up if you neglect your wife. Note, neglecting your wife in real life is not recommended and will usually lead you to losing money rather than gaining it…
Check out our selection of the hot wives in Skyrim.
Well there you have it, that’s some of the best ways to make gold in Skyrim! I hope you found this Skyrim Gold Guide useful.